Not that there’s anything wrong with Disney World, but if you’d rather trade princesses for wildlife and castles for mountains, then we’ve got the perfect kid-friendly destination for you to consider – Jackson Hole, Wyoming. What’s more is that it’s family-friendly year-round.
No matter which season you’re able to grab the kids and go, Jackson Hole will be ready to show your family a great adventure!
Nestled in the Teton Valley of Wyoming, Jackson Hole sits within the majestic rocky mountains and is ideally situated between two of our nation’s most spectacular national parks, Grand Teton and Yellowstone.
To say Jackson Hole is nature lover’s paradise is an understatement! Unlike many natural destinations, Jackson Hole is well-equipped for the little members of your family. In fact, there are more awesome kid-oriented activities than we can even keep track of. So if you’re wondering exactly what our outdoorsy town has to offer your family, year-round, here’s a quick list.
Jackson Hole is One of the Best Family Travel Destinations Anytime of Year
One of Jackson Hole’s most underrated seasons, spring is a gorgeous and exciting time! The wildlife starts to come out of hibernation and into the open, wildflowers begin to bloom, and there are very few visitors leaving everything wide-open (and less expensive!). Of course, the beginning of spring is a wildly popular time as the winter sports are still going strong. April and May see fewer visitors but some of the most magical natural events occur during these months.
- Cowboy Coaster – Travel 456 feet high in the air (four stories) to then zip, twist, and turn for a mile-long on Snow King Mountain. A super fun ride which opens in the late spring and runs through early autumn.
- Wildlife Safaris – Just what it sounds like – head out into the wild in hopes to see the wildlife in action. Tours can be organized year-round.
- Bike Rentals – Hands down the best way to explore Grand Teton National Park. The roads don’t open to cars until May, but you can bike into the park well before then! Many places in town rent bikes, even trailers to hitch to the bikes so you can bring the smallest members of your family along.
- National Museum of Wildlife Art
- Jackson Hole Children’s Museum
Choose Your Adventure! Explore Snow King Hotel’s Special Offers.
The most popular season in Jackson Hole, summer is an incredible time of year to visit. Fly-fishing, white water river rafting, and hiking the national parks are three of the main draws of summer for everyone, including the kids.
- TreeTop Adventure Course – Swiss Family Robinson meets the X-Games for a ridiculously fun time in the trees. Kids ages seven and up are welcome to all the climbing, zip lining, and adventuring fun.
- Alpine Slide – Treat the kids to awe-inspiring views of the Tetons and the town of Jackson Hole as they slide down 350 feet going 25 mph!
- Jackson Hole Playhouse Dinner Theater – A quirky little theater featuring fun classics such as “The Unsinkable Molly Brown,” open only during the summer and for the holidays!
- Town Square Shootout Presented by JH Playhouse – Quite possibly one of the craziest and most fun activities in Jackson Hole. The type of event that only Jackson Hole would have. Every single evening at 6 pm, barring Sundays, hundreds to thousands of spectators gather in Town Square for the evening shootout.
- Teton County Fair
- Bungee Trampoline
- Mini Golf
- Guided Fishing Trips
As the busy season closes and autumn sets in, a peaceful serenity falls across the town. Autumn brings some of the most spectacular weather of the year, and nearly all the summer activities and attractions are still open! Prices drop, crowds thin, and the opportunities for adventure and excitement
There’s no better word to describe winter in Jackson Hole than legendary. Enormous mountains, fresh powder, and a variety of incredible lodges and hotels to cozy up in, Jackson Hole is a winter wonderland for sure.
- Snow King Tubes – Perfect for the whole family, Snow King Tubes is by far one of the most hilariously fun activities in Jackson Hole. All you need is warm clothes as the park provides the tubes, three smooth groomed lanes, and a rope tow to pull you up the hill!
- Kids Ranch Ski Lessons – Let the experienced instructors take on the task of teaching the kiddos, while you can enjoy a day of skiing or photographing the kids!
- Guided Dog Sledding Tour – Whiz through the winter wonderland of Jackson Hole on a sled pulled by a team of dogs! Check out the winter wildlife and have a once in a lifetime experience!
- Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride – Hop aboard a horse-drawn sleigh and get up close and personal with the majestic Elk.
As you can see, there’s no lack of fun for all ages all year long in Jackson Hole. This list is not all-inclusive, there are even more activities if you run out! For more specifics on Jackson Hole, this is one of the best resources. For spring and autumn, booking far in advance isn’t completely necessary as though are considered more “low season.” The summer and winter months in Jackson Hole do tend to get busy, so if you’d like to visit during those times we recommend booking your stay as soon as possible! Keeping up with the family friendly theme, Snow King Resort is a chic, cozy, family-friendly hotel located in the heart of Jackson Hole. Book your stay today!